Friday, October 15, 2010

Time Enough at Last!




So Stage Wife challenged some individuals to compile a list of fifteen books in fifteen minutes that would stay with them for a long time.


Firstly, I'm not a bookworm myself. I don't have the ability to converse in any meaningful or intellectual conversation that centers around books and such. When I hear "book", I see this:


Yup. Books and I go together like Paris Hilton and Mensa.

Well, not to that extreme, as I have had some things that I have read that are important to me! Here is that fabled list:

  1. Mandela's Way: Fifteen Lessons on Life, Love, and Courage - Richard Stengel
    • Read this book. I'm different person because of this book. I can't talk about this enough. You'll just have to read it yourself.
  2. Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the 20th Century - Usborne Books
    • Hahaha! I know, it's not a novel, but this book was the spark of my curiosity. Honestly, without it, I would not have the brain power I have today.
  3. The Giver - Lois Lowry
    • I Love...
  4. Number the Stars - Lois Lowry
    • ...Lois...
  5. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry
    • ....Lowry.... and her books, of course! Those three were awesome, with Number the Stars as my personal favorite.
  6. The Devil of Nanking - Mo Hayder
    • Oh boy, this book can make anyone's dark side giggle with delight - like a fat man at the Deep-Fry-Anything stand at the county fair.
  7. The Kennedy Curse - Edward Klein
    • I follow the Kennedy's like a fanatic! This novel is not only a cool insight into the family, but it also points out a famous curse that flows among them.
  8. Mr. Popper's Penguins - Richard & Florence Atwater
    • My childhood revolved around this book. I simply loved it! In addition, this book was the reason that I really started to love animals, especially marine life (and penguins, of course!). Little known fact: I've always wanted to own a pet penguin.
  9. Freedom From Fear - Aung San Suu Kyi
    • Inspiration at a whole different level! I adore Daw Suu Kyi and her peaceful work, and I've been following her for years. I only try to make her traits important in my life! 
  10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
    • I love these books, and a massive magic battle will stay in the factory of dwarves in my head that I call my 'imagination' for a long time.
  11. King Lear - William Shakespeare
    • First Shakespearean text that I read, and it's a damn good one! Would have put Macbeth in here as well, but the story of King Lear is just sooooo epic!
  12. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
    • I know! It's a military book, but some of these tactics can be put into real life! Life is a battle anyways, right? Helps you put up with a bunch of people, too! ;)
  13. Charlotte's Web - E.B. White
    • I will never forget my grade 3 teacher reading this out loud in class and bursting into a pool of tears while she read Charlotte's death (oops, spoiler). No, she literally erupted into a giant puddle of salty liquid soul. 
  14. Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkein
    • It's Lord of the Rings, what can I say?
  15. The Missing Piece - Shel Siverstein
    • Oh, this book. Truly a book that I have modeled my life around. I love this book.

I guess it's safe to say that books are good for you. Take a look at what books have done in history:
  • An army of books were responsible for the Berlin Wall
  • The Vatican is actually a giant pop-out book, ages 3 and up (Oh I know, distasteful, but I'm sick in the head and I needed some cheap laughs :P )
  • Books can survive nuclear holocausts. Proven fact! (Look up the title of this post)
  • The Yellow Brick Road was not made of brick, it was made of phone books. (Still a book :P )
  • Nuclear weapons are being gradually replaced by copies of Sarah Palin's book, Going Rogue
  • Books can eliminate the existence of such terrible programming such as Jersey Shore 
  • McDonald's uses old Stephen King books for their McBurger Patties, McNuggets, McFlurries, and all the other McShit that comes out of that McHell Hole. Have some fun with your McHeart Attack!
  • Books did not have sexual relations with that woman!
  • The Red Sea was parted by a wall of books
  • Chuck Norris reads books (or books read Chuck Norris, whatever floats your boat)

Well, maybe it's good to read books?


Yeah, read some books.

No comments:

Post a Comment